This is a rich dark and moist coconut cake made of fresh grated coconut, grated jaggery and coconut milk. This coconut cake also calls as Bibikan in Sri Lanka. Coconut adds a tropical essence to Sri Lanka’s Christmas. You can add chopped dates, winter melon and ginger preserves, candid peel along with chopped cashew nuts, which make this coconut cake even more rich and moist.
|Plain/All-purpose Flour||50 g|
|Caster Sugar||250 g|
|Jaggery/ palm sugar||500 g|
|Freshly grated coconut||500g|
|Chopped cashew nuts||100g|
|Mixed spice||1 TSP|
|Cardamom Powder||½ TSP|
|Grated lemon zest||1 TSP|
Galze Icing: (Optional)
How i made it:-
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Dissolve the jaggery and sugar in the coconut milk.
- Place this mixture into pan and bring to boil.
- Add salt and the ground spice and give a good stir.
- Add the grated coconut and cook until the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in the flour.
- Stir in the chopped cashew nuts along with grated lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan (9 inch*12 inch).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until springy to touch and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Prepare glaze icing:
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and using a balloon whisk gradually stir in enough water to make a smooth icing that will coat the back of a spoon.
- Once the cake is completely cool, cut into slices and drizzle the glaze liberally over the top.