This tasty prawn vadai is from Sri Lanka. This is a simple snack dish that relies on the best quality small, firm prawns you can find. The aroma of the mouth-watering fried prawn vadai is wonderful. Serve this prawn vadai with a dab of lime juice or chopped onions.
|Split red lentils/ masoor dhal||1 Cup|
|Prawns (small & unshelled)||250gm|
|Green Chili (chopped)||3 or to taste|
|Dry red chilli (broken into pieces)||3|
|Curry leaves (chopped)||1 Sprig|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||¼ bunch|
|cumin Seeds||1 TSP|
|Fennel seeds||1 TSP|
|Salt||½ TSP or to taste|
|Oil||For deep frying|
How I made it:-
- Soak the lentils for 2-3 hours.
- Wash the prawns and set aside.
- Drain and grind half of the dhal coarsely along with ginger.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining dual, chopped onions, green chili, broken red chilies, cumin, fennel seeds, chopped coriander, curry leaves and salt.
- Mix well until just combine.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a deep sided saucepan or wok.
- Using damp hands roll the mixture into small balls, and then flatten into patties.
- Press one or two prawns into each patty.
- Then gently slip it into the oil.
- *Always be cautious when working with hot oils.
- Deep fry both side until crisp and golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Do the same with remaining mixture.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.