Cooking a best mutton biryani is always a challenge for every home makers 🙂 . Most mutton biryani recipes start with a marination with yogurt and together with spices. But this is a simple yet scrumptious mutton biryani.
To marinate the mutton:
|Mutton (chopped into small pieces)||500 Gm|
|Turmeric powder||2 TSP|
|Red Chili powder||1 TSP|
|Basmati Rice||2 Cups|
|Water (to cook rice)||4 Cups|
|Black pepper corns||1 TSP|
|Red onions (Sliced)||2|
|Green Chili||1 or to taste|
|Ginger and Garlic Paste||1 TBS|
|Fennel seeds||1 TSP|
|Fenugreek seeds||½ TSP|
|Red Chili Powder||1 TSP|
|Turmeric Powder||½ TSP|
|Garam Masala||1 TSP|
|Coconut milk (Optional)||1 TBS (Thick)|
|Coriander Leaves||3 TBS|
|Cashew nuts (Fried)||For garnish|
|Salt||1 TSP or to taste|
|Ghee/ Oil||3 TBS|
How i made it:-
- Wash the mutton a couple of times and marinate with salt, turmeric powder and chili powder. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Wash rice and drain.
- Heat 1 TBS oil/ghee in a pan and add cinnamon and peppercorns.
- Add the drained rice along with salt and fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups water and cook until rice is almost done.
- Meanwhile heat ghee/oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cloves and cardamom. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and green chili sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until onions starts to turn brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for another 1 minute.
- Add marinated mutton and fry until golden brown.
- Add chili, turmeric, salt, garam masala and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add one table spoon of coconut milk/cream.
- Add ½ cup of water and pressure cook till meat are soft.
- Pour out mutton gravy onto rice and mix well.
- Sprinkle the coriander leaves on top and cook on dum till done.
- Garnish with some fried cashew nuts and serve hot with onion raita and with some boiled egg.