Dhal curry is the first recipe that i learned from my mother. Because cooking dhal curry is very easy. The secret of making this dhal curry is to cook it to perfect tenderness, boil it too much and the dish loses body. Dhal curry is a staple dish in Sri lanka, and a quick dish to prepare. It goes well with any rice or roti. I love the bread and dhal curry with some coconut sambol.
|Masoor Dhal||1 Cup|
|Turmeric Powder||1 TSP|
|Onion (Sliced)||1 (Medium)|
|Tomato (Chopped)||1 (Medium)|
|Green Chilies (Sliced)||2 or to taste|
|Coconut Milk (Thick)||2 TBS|
|Salt||1 TSP or to taste|
|Water||2 Cup or as needed|
|Mustard Seeds||½ TSP|
|Cumin Seeds||½ TSP|
|Fenugreek Seeds||½ TSP|
|Curry Leaves||1 Sprig|
How i made it:-
- Wash dhal in about 2 or 3 changes of water.
- Boil the dhal with salt and turmeric until just cooked but not mashed so much.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and when its start to splutter add the cumin seeds along with fenugreek seeds and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the curry leaves and greens chilies along with sliced onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- When onions turn translucent add the chopped tomato and sauté for 2 minute.
- Pour the mixture over the cooked dhal.
- Serve hot with choice of your bread or rice.